Thursday, September 16, 2010

7 Fun Facts About Basketball!

I was browsing the featured posts on Innit (Glitterati's community from Nuffnang which you can visit here) and I saw a post from a random blogger that tells fun facts about her (yup a girl).Didn't give a damn about it but what attracted me was the phrase 'fun facts'.That gave me an idea about today's post!Plus,I didn't even know anything about the history or facts about basketball so i guess it's a prime time for me to check it out!Finally,I end up doing a quick research about it.So these are the fun facts about basketball that i found;

1)The model of basketball was created by James Naismith in December 1891.He tried to craft a sport that requires less body contact unlike rugby,football and hockey.

2)Slam dunks became illegal in 1967 due to judges' assumptions that it is considered as a jumping foul.Plus,slam dunks had wrecked so many backboards and basketball rims during those times until new and strong materials are used to reconstruct them.

3)The first basketball hoops ever are actually peach baskets with a hole at the bottom.

4)Backboards are created to prevent spectators watching the basketball game from behind to mess with the ball (guess the referee is just too annoyed with them).

5)National Basketball League (NBL) and Basketball Association of America (BAA) were combined to become today's National Basketball Association (NBA).

6)Three pointers were borrowed from the American Basketball Association (ABA) and to be instituted by NBA.

7)The first basketball ever created looked like a combination of a football and a rugby ball.Don't believe me?Check the picture below that I got from Google;


Well basically James Naismith created the design of the ball in the first place.See him holding his 'historic' invention below;

James Naismith
The Mastermind Behind Basketball

Originally,the ball was much smaller than the present since it was originated from a football.When time goes by,it evolved to a new grand shape with designs on it like the basketball that I've just bought from EchoPark which you can check it at my previous post here.

Actually there are more fun facts about basketball that you might be interested on but since they are too complex for you to understand so I decided to only add the basic stuffs here.If you are eager to learn more,well,just ask Uncle Google!

4 comments: